Sunday, November 9, 2014

A Study in Faith and Courage

Missionary. Pilot. Prisoner of war. Business man. Writer. Entrepreneur. Lover of God. 


These and many more words and phrases describe Randall's active and productive life of 96 years.

We first knew Randall when he directed World Relief's Asia programs. Then, after he and Dorothy moved to Vancouver, Washington, near Portland, we connected again. Now he and Dorothy live at Alliance Community, in Deland, Florida, where Dorothy receives the nursing care she needs after an accident plunged her into a deep debilitation.


Every day Randall lovingly spends time with his wife, trusting that--even though she is unresponsive--she hears his words, hears him read Bible passages to her, hears the music he chooses for her, hears his prayers for her. Randall's love for Dorothy is tender, constant, and extravagant. Every day, at lunch and dinner, he feeds her. Every day, he prays for her to be healed. In the end, he trusts God's goodness and faithfulness. He rests in God's unfailing love.

After we spent time together with Dorothy, Randall got on his scooter and led us to the dining room near his two-room apartment on the grounds of the Alliance Community. We had a great lunch together as his guests.


After lunch together, we went to Randall's apartment. As we sat on a couch in his living room, Randall got out a list he had prepared before our visit of things he wanted to talk about or give to us: "How is _____? How are Matt and Alisa? I'd like you to have this commentary on Ephesians. It is the best I've ever read. The author was a student in my mother's Sunday school class. You will enjoy this journal from the Center for World Missions. Here, take it with you. I finally finished my book about my internment. I called it "In Imperial Custody." Here is a copy for you to take with you. Oh, and this is the devotional book I talked about at lunch. I so appreciate the deep thoughts that are expressed each day. Here, I have an extra copy. Please take it with you. And one last thing. You know how I've always loved business cards. This is my current one. It has all of the logos of the places I've worked [pictured below without the personal contact information]."


At 96 years old, Randall still drives to the store to get personal items for Dorothy and for himself. His days are full of activities, connecting with others, prayer. "I don't have enough time for all the things I want to do," he tells us with a sparkle in his eye.

Before we left Randall's apartment, the three of us prayed together for Dorothy and for each other. Then, one more time, we looked at a photo that a friend created as a constant reminder of Christ's love for Dorothy. The caption on the back of the photo reads: "My Savior. My Lord. My God. I worship you."

No comments:

Post a Comment